Freitag, 12. Februar 2016

the grey dawn breaking

I had this fabulous idea today... why not write about the sessions I've been to and include some of the recordings I made?
This is a test run: Playing my favourite slow air.

 

Made this recording on a beach just before I left Shetland.

First time I ever played "the grey dawn breaking" at the seaside was in San Francisco. Pelicans flying and a huge ship blowing its horn just as I tried to play this cool note that is in two octaves at the same time.... couple of years later I was in the same spot, playing the same tune and my friend recited a poem. I'm not a hundred percent sure it was this one - but this is one I love

Sea Fever (John Masefield)
I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by;
And the wheel's kick and wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying.
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yearn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.




Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen